Saturday, April 12, 2008

Yawn...the third day...

Updating this blog seems to be turning into a daily habit; at least as far as the 'study' hols are concerned. Whenever asked, everyone my friends respond with the same answer, "Study hols na? That's why this guy is this vetti (Jobless, bored and lazy...all at the same time. That's the beauty of Tamil literature...)". This got on my nerves after sometime. I've been doing a lot of stuff each day. Watching mega serials, looking out for feline population that might raid the kitchen anytime, and...I guess the reader gets the idea. But quite obviously, no parent would approve of this state of affairs, and my parents are no exception. Hence every time they ask the routine, "Are you studying?", though I can think of a dozen more things I could tell them I'd been doing without being untruthful, I respond with a sincere "Yes mom", or "Yes pop".

This got to my conscience after sometime. Though 'studying', especially during 'study' hols is a habit I look upon with the least adoration, I had to do it. It was a very tough decision, but I simply had to 'study'. Also, studying now would possibly rescue me from the fate of studying for possible arrear papers, which would be even worse, as arrear exams are held during the semester holidays.

Thus on the third day of study holidays, at approximately 8 a.m., I started studying.

On the third day of study holidays, at approximately 8:02:07 a.m., I made an important discovery. I didn't have anything to study from, apart from the one book I had. And for half an hour I sat there, looking at the syllabus. Then there was this voice inside my head that told me that sitting and looking at the syllabus wasn't going to help, and that I better go out, buy myself a couple of books. And off I went, to the old book market in ukkadam, determined to hold on to my resolution. Just when I got off the bus, after an hour's journey, the voice inside my head asked me to check my wallet and I found it empty, like two days ago. The hunt for the ATM began, which took me on a journey that covered 75% of the roads in ukkadam before I found one, a few feet away from the point I started.

I finally reached the market at 1.05, only to find it locked. I learnt from a kind passerby that the Muslims who ran the market had gone to the mosque, to offer their afternoon prayers. It was after another half an hour of waiting under the hot sun that I was able to get the books I came for. The journey back home took an hour and half and I felt like I'd been washed, squeezed and hanged out to dry by the time I was back home.

Back in my room, I remember opening one of the books at 3 p.m.

The next thing I remember doing is waking up at 6 p.m.

I had a wash and resumed the chore I started at 3 before drowsiness got the better of me. With every page I turned I discovered that there was more that I did not know, than I ever would. Yawn..! Sleepy already...will be back tomorrow I guess, with another story.

And yeah, no luck with the dumb cat; didn't get to see it today.

2 comments:

Einsteins Donkey said...

hang in there soldier... :)... study hols are meant for sleeping not studying..enjoy the well earned break

Mc Neill Ivan said...

You should listen to tips offered by your dept. senior (Einsteins Donkey)