Monday, December 24, 2007

The Motor, the lioness and the herd of buffaloes in my bedroom

Though not a devout Christian (no way I can be one....am neither devout nor Christian) it was with a considerable amount of eagerness that I was looking forward to the Christmas holidays, the idea being to spend 5 whole days at my cousin's place free from all records, observations, classes and all such kinds of brain-degrading toxic issues, that plague the life of an engineering student. So on Thursday evening, with happiness and sunshine...er...wait, there wasn't any sunshine...actually it was raining like hell. The point, anyway, is this: in spite of all the thundering clouds and heavy precipitation, my spirit wasn't dampened in the slightest (though my clothes were), as I set out to my cousin's place. After the hour and half long bus journey and a quarter hour's travel by auto-rickshaw, I was standing at the doorstep of my aunt's house (which is the same as my cousin's place, the aunt in question being the cousin's mother).

Hence it was with a bit of annoyance that I learnt that my fool of a cousin had decided to spend her time 'usefully' by doing some 'in-plant training' during the holidays. So there I was, left to myself and my cronies (my laptop and books) all day. And it was during this 5 day period that strange things began to happen...at night.

The motor started running at rated speed. We began to vary the position of the field rheostat of the generator to bring it to rated voltage. Suddenly the tachometer reading began to soar upwards all of its own. We started looking around frantically. The ammeter inched towards 24.6, 24.7, and 24. 8...the fuse blew up.

I woke up panting heavily. The time was 3 in the morning and I was in my bedroom at my cousin's place. Wiping my forehead, I returned to bed. Suddenly I realised I could still hear some kind of motor running...somewhere downstairs. I was too sleepy to check and dozed off. I forgot all about this incident the next day.

The cubs were playing with each other and the mom was looking at her kids play. The dad, His Majesty king Lion was lazily yawning. I took out my camera to get a picture of the happy family. Momma lioness wasn't very pleased and she started growling. And all of a sudden with a ferocious roar, she pounced...and I woke up again. Realising this was again a nightmare, I returned to bed, though I could still hear the growling inside my head...

Two days passed uneventfully and beginning to get bored, I decided to return to college the next day.

I was running like I've never done in my life. The herd of buffaloes were chasing me like I was a threat to their entire clan. It was an open ground that I was running about, with nowhere to hide. The buffaloes were gaining on me...closing up on me real fast. I tried ploughing through my memory, wondering if I had in the past, made any insulting statement about Laloo. I could feel the hot breath of the foremost of my pursuers on my back. At this point something told me that I had no business being chased by herds of buffaloes in the middle of the night in some open ground. And presto! I woke up. The door was unlocked and slightly ajar...I could still hear something that sounded like a buffalo snorting in disgust. Deciding to investigate, I descended down the stairs...

...

...

...

to find my cousin let out a snore that sounded like a 5KW DC motor, a growling lioness and a herd of buffaloes taking it in turns to huff, puff and snort in disgust, all combined.

1 comment:

Ram Kumar said...

Inna man, too much involved in EEE, I think. Drop out. Best way.

PS: Nice style of writing in the first two paragraphs